Hartford hedge fund George Weiss Associates, Inc. has the best 401k retirement program for employees in the region, according to a study from San Diego financial information provider BrightScope.
George Weiss knocked The Phoenix Cos. out of the No. 1 spot this year of the Hartford area companies with the highest ranked 401k plans containing more than $100 million in assets.
The top 25 companies were ranked on the total plan cost, company generosity, participation rate, salary deferrals, and account balances. The rankings are:
1. George Weiss Associates, Inc.
2. The Phoenix Companies, Inc.
3. ALSTOM, Inc.
4. Day Pitney LLP
5. General Electric
6. The United Illuminating Co.
7. Praxair, Inc.
8. United Technologies Corp.
9. Chemtura Corp.
10. Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co.
11. Hartford Fire Insurance Co.
12. United Technologies Corp.
13. Northeast Utilities
14. Legrand Holding, Inc.
15. Webster Financial Corp.
16. Barnes Group Inc.
17. Smith & Wesson Corporation
18. TRC Companies, Inc.
19. People's United Financial, Inc.
20. Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.
21. Connecticut Carpenters Annuity Fund
22. Hubbell Incorporated
24. Magellan Health Services, Inc.
25. Mapfre USA Corp.