November 8, 2017

Survey: Health should be top priority for state spending

An overwhelming majority of Connecticut residents view residents' health as the No. 1 priority for the allocation of state funds, with 52 percent describing health as very important and another 29 percent indicating it is important, according to newly released findings of an online survey.

That means eight in 10 residents place the health of Connecticut residents at the top of the priority list for state funds, according to the third-quarter InformCT Consumer Confidence Survey administered by researchers from the Connecticut Economic Resource Center Inc. and Smith & Co. The survey of 505 residents has a margin of error of 4 percent.

A nearly identical number of respondents indicate the safety of people and property should be a top spending priority: very important to 49 percent of respondents and important to an additional 33 percent. That total, 82 percent, was the highest in the statewide survey.

Student achievement in elementary, middle and high schools were ranked as very important or important by 78 percent of survey respondents, the third highest total in the survey.

The security of Connecticut's vulnerable children and adults is cited as very important or important by three in four state residents, as is the quality and productivity of the state's workforce.

The quality of Connecticut's environment and the vitality of businesses and individuals are both seen as priorities for state funding by seven in 10 residents. Somewhat lower priorities, although still seen as very important or important by six in 10 state residents, are the value of state college or university education and statewide mobility of people, goods, information and energy, the survey found.

The only area of state spending not viewed as important by a majority of state residents was cultural and recreational opportunities, which 18 percent considered as very important and 27 percent view as important.

Comments

Type your comment here:

Free E-Newsletters

Sign up now for our daily and weekly
e-newsletters! Click Here

 
Today's Poll Would an Aetna-CVS merger be good for Hartford?<>
ADVERTISEMENTS
Most Popular on Facebook
Copyright 2017 New England Business Media